It is not as lengthy as it seems. This blog post is the most interesting one from all I wrote so far. I don’t discriminate between my articles though. I just said that because I made it a bit long (intentionally). Ten points to go – just 10! Get ready for quite a ride.
- Independent perspective: In the country where the media is highly influenced by political parties, the government, and foreign organizations, your personal perspective will remain unheard. Ethiopia needs very independent individual perspectives which can easily address the societies’ need very closely and impartially.
- Strong Perspectives: Your blog is a place where you can constantly tell your audience what exactly you believe in. There is no page limit; you don’t have to wait until next edition to tell what is in your mind. The freedom of this medium makes your perspective very strong. You can easily assert by viable evidence for your conclusions. They sky is the limit. You can use pictures, videos, statistics, above all, personal feelings on the topic. It spices up your determination on the subject you are talking about. This is a strong perspective for me.
- Diversity of Ideas: Listen to what they talk on the traditional media? All the news and perspectives are bounded and focused on very limited subjects. Everyone is talking about Millennium Dams and post-election unrests recently. But there are so many things in the media that haven’t got coverage. Blog is your media; you can express anything you want. There is no editorial censorship. It is a self-censored media. You can easily diverse your topics. That will give the audience unlimited options to read on basis of their interest. There is nothing like finding what you look for. Use the chance to say things which are unsaid before.
- Limited numbers of blogs and websites available from the country: It is sad, but there are less than 20 bloggers in total for nearly 90 million people in the country. Being one of the first bloggers is a great chance for you to be an ambassador for the country. Your chance of enormous “readers hit” is so high. My fellow bloggers achieve 800 hits and more just in a month or two. People are so into reading what interesting people reflect. The early you start your blog, the better you get the popularity. I am poking you!
- Internet penetration rising: Slow, but there is undeniable progress on the internet connection in the country. It’s been sad that internet is considering a luxury material. But this era seems passing now. There are many internet cafes are opening, new bandwidth tariff has been introduced, it is my hope that Ethio telecom will improve the service more, and even better other ISPs (hopefully, local ISPs) might get license soon to function in the country. Trust me; people are tired of just reading about English premierleague and chatting on Facebook with totally stranger people whom God knows if they even exist. So get ready for quite a ride. It is time to get advantage of “universe-like” opportunities on the net.
- Facebook Experience: Believe it or not, people acceptance of social media is very high. According to Google’s statics for 2010, Facebook was the highest visited website from Ethiopia. People love social media. Let me tell you a little secret, shhhh… Blog is a social medium! A better one though. On Facebook, you can post your pictures and updates your status. Have you realized that people usually do the same thing? They copied your status as their own? You can’t control what is happening on Facebook, but you can on your blog. After all, you are not limited to small status updates, but you can express your whole idea in a way which stays all the time readable and manageable. Ethiopians love social networks. Get your own!
- High population: Ethiopian population growth is one of the highest in the world. It is not always a bad thing though (Usually it is, who wants to share the resources for 10 which can only meant to be for one). Either we support “producing babies” or not, they are coming quite a lot. It gives you great chances of reaching many readers. One day, your blog will be reading by millions of people. Nowhere, but from the country. Enjoy the highest traffic for your blog.
- Market your idea, products and services: Creating a blog (especially cooperate blogging) helps you to define your potential customers. You can tell them your findings, new features, new plans..Etc… your potential customers determine your business profit. So why don’t you talk to them personally? Why don’t you tell them that you like them?
The traditional marketing strategy doesn’t work anymore. Take my word, it doesn’t. Great, but people still print out flyers that a 10 years toddler gives you away at the corner of the street. God knows who they are. – eweket
Huge billboards and posters, which mess up the towns later on, don’t give more than the basic information you need. But Blog gives a lot. It is a place to tell your customers who you are; how you can help them; how your event will happen and what is your real intention is. Which movie director is writing a blog in the country? But a friend of mine was shooting a new movie, and there are so many interesting things happening out there. Sometimes, the process is more interesting than the final product. People will die to see your movie if you tell them some of the incidents while shooting. The same is true for your meat processing😉 LOL
- Strong online society: Mass movements are the new society composition. The nature of online society makes mass movements quite easier. There are so many reasons why you need to establish strong online society. Poverty reduction, Human Rights movements (In Freedom of speech, minorities, Norms, Spiritual awakens, Outreaching, Modern Ethics, Society orders, Homosexuality, freedom of travelling. Exercising and expanding your belief and religion, and such), fighting epidemics, gender issue, consumers rights, even anti-government movements and much more. All need mass movements. All need full society support. And may be, not in a week, but soon enough, you can achieve what you fight for and convince enough people to get on your back.
- It is fun: Last but not least, blogging is as fun as using Facebook. If you are a kind of person who hates facebook, I am telling you it is as fun as having great time with your friends or having your own horse. It is addictive too. Once you start writing, you will get immersed more in it. Truth to be told, no one might write about you when you die, so you better say what you feel now, while you are alive. If you make fun of some people, do it!, even better if you teach them. If you want to use the worst word in the language, say it. “Yewtaleh!” Better to write in respectful tone though. But you know what I mean, it is a lot fun!
You see, ten points are not too much. If you need any help setting up your blog or needs any advise, please contact me or even better write your comments below. Feel free to share the information with your friends too. You can even repost it if you want. Making a strong online society is everyone’s reasonability, after all you are reading my blog online … OR?